Friday, June 24, 2016

Steady by Danica Avet



Steady
Band Nerd Series Book 1
by Danica Avet
Genre: Contemporary Romance 


B&N 

Everyone may call me “Steady” but recently my life has been all chaos. I went from Shaun Decker, NFL star, to being forced to retire and finding out my wife’s having an affair. Coaching for the Sauvage Spartans' football program will be perfect for getting my life back on track. Then a delicious woman named Katie literally falls into my lap and then, after the best sex of my life, disappears. 

I’m Katherine Frost, band nerd turned band director and, oh, apparently a magnet for married men. Discovering I’m the other woman already had me rethinking my life, then my one-night stand turns out to be married too. Gah! I want nothing to do with men ever again. Especially tall, handsome, bearded men named Shaun. I thought taking up a teaching position at Sauvage State was a strategic exit, stage left, but it’s looking more like going from the frying pan into the fire. 

Hey, Shaun again. Don't let her kid you. Fate puts people in the right place at the right time because they're meant for each other. Football and marching bands go together, just like me and Katie. I just need to convince her of that.



Meet the author


Danica Avet was born and raised in the wilds of South Louisiana where mosquitoes are big enough to carry off small children and there are only two seasons: hot and hotter. With a BA in History, she figured there were enough fry cooks in the world and decided to try her hand at writing.

Writing is how she gives the voices in her head a way out. They speak to her constantly wanting their stories told and she does her best to accommodate them.When she isn’t writing, working, or contemplating the complexities of the universe, she spends time gathering inspiration from her insane family, reads far more than any sane person would want to, and watches hot burly men chase an oblong ball all over a field.

Author Media Links


Facebook: www.facebook.com/Danica-Avet- Writer-108148517161/

Fun facts:

1. I spent 10 years in band. I started by playing the flute from Grades 5-7 and the tuba from 8-

College.

2. I can’t click my heels to save my life. You know, that jump up and click them? Yeah. I tried and

fell in the cookie bin at the grocery store. I was in college at the time. Luckily, I’ve found this

isn’t a required life skill.

3. Steady was the result of attending a marching band festival in October 2015. Being

surrounded by band nerds for the first time in years, listening to the performances and

remembering how much I enjoyed performing, gave me the basis for the Band Nerd series.

4. Katie’s conversation with her former love sort of almost happened to me. Kid you not. I was

just as shocked as she was.

5. It’s been my experience that drummers really are the bad asses of the band. I just can’t figure

out if it’s because their mouths are free to smirk/joke/laugh while they play, or if it’s because

they all secretly model themselves after Animal from The Muppets.

6. It takes a lot more thought to come up with 25 Fun Facts than I thought it would.

7. I started a trend in my family once I played the tuba. My brother played when he got to high

school and my first cousin did the same when she went to jr. high. I know. Who would’ve

thought playing tuba was what all the cool kids did?

8. I’ve seen a sousaphone (bright, shiny bell) catch a flip folder on fire during a college football

game. Sunshine + nickel plated instrument + plastic = smoke. Remember: Only you can

prevent tuba fires! (And yes, this will show up in a future story.)

9. Nicknames aren’t a requirement in band, but they do happen. Sometimes they aren’t

wonderful, but what can you do?

10. There’s nothing worse than trying to march in 100+ degree heat. With a hangover. Trust me.

11. That whole thing about band students doing well in math? Yeah, I seriously think whoever

came up with that is a big, fat liar. I had to take Math 101 five times in college before I finally

passed.

12. Characters, about thirteen of them, from my Southern Sin series, Sinning to Win, make a short

cameo appearance in Steady. And book two in the Band Nerd series brings even more back.

*wink wink*

13. I write where my muse brings me. Just like this list, my muse decides what to write and when.

I have a few series that are still waiting to be completed, but they will happen. If my muse

would just get off the cactus juice.

14. Like most writers, I love to read. A lot. Probably more than I should considering I should be

writing, but it’s an addiction and no, I don’t need an intervention.

15. I met my best friend (of 27 years!) at band camp in junior high. She said my hair looked like

puppy dog ears (perms and baseball caps do not go together) and I told her so did hers. A

bond was formed that day.

16. I used to be able to play flute, tuba, piano and bass guitar. Not well, but I did it. Once upon a

time.

17. Years ago, I had an idea to write a book about college tuba players who solve the murder of

the drum major. Then I had to face facts and admit I’m not sneaky enough to write a mystery

novel.

18. I had to pick the brains of my fellow writers and friends to come up with Shaun’s nickname. It

was originally supposed to be Pitbull, but what’s sexy about that?

19. One of the title suggestions from the lovely A.M. Griffin was Steady Stroke. She’s a dirty girl.

LOL

20. Having friends who happen to be writers, right there in the trenches with you, is easily the

best part of writing. They don’t think you’re crazy when you tell them your characters won’t

speak to you.

21. I absolutely adore getting emails from readers. Honestly. All writers do!

22. I spent at least three days searching for the perfect “model” that resembles Steady for this

book cover. It’s a hard job. You know, staring at all these pictures of shirtless men, but alas,

someone has to do it.

23. Supporting school music programs is a big deal for me. It really is a team sport because while

you can have stars, they’re nothing without the accompaniment of a band at their backs.

24. I’ve been out of college band for… Well, a long time. But I still have dreams about halftime

shows and songs I never practiced. Or, the most recent, the band performing as dancers and I

fall flat on my face in the middle of the show. Did I get up and keep going? No. I curled into a

ball and played dead on the field. It’s weird what your brain latches onto, isn’t it?

25. It’s never acceptable to use the very big bell of a sousaphone as a basketball hoop. Just sayin’.

It kind of sucks having to scoop Mardi Gras beads out of a sousaphone at the end of a parade.

No comments:

Post a Comment